|Abstract: ||National Museum of Natural Science (hereafter abbreviated as Museum of Science) is the top one domestic museum for natural history, which has many rich natural, scientific, historical and cultural resources; in addition to the constant exhibition, there are also many gorgeous exhibitions in the past that attract so many people to visit; therefore, it is a very important recreation area in central Taiwan. To the museum, the most important thing is to satisfy the expectation and need of the visitor and to possess the function of education as well as entertainment, that is, to attract the visitors to come uninterruptedly.|
In this study, tourists visiting Museum of Science exhibition will be used as the survey targets. During the tourists? participation process, the attractive power of the special exhibition will be used to investigate the influence and correlation of tourists? participant motivation, participant constraint and satisfaction; moreover, tourists of different basic background and attribute will be used to understand the correlation among attraction, participant motivation, participant constraint and the satisfaction of the special exhibition of Museum of Science; moreover, what type of special exhibition the tourists prefer will be further understood, and the tourist attribute that has participant motivation will be analyzed too. Five hundred and thirty people were selected in this cross-sectional, descriptive study by using a structured questionnaire. Five hundred and twelve valid data were used to analyze as the results, the valid corresponding rate was 96.6%. The surveys were conducted during the period of February 1 to February 28 2009. The results of this study are the followings:
1. For the attraction of the special exhibition of Museum of Science, tourists all show highest agreement on ?unique historical relic exhibition?; the next are items such as: ?the possession of recreation, entertainment and knowledge content? and ?education, enlightening and inheritance meaning?. For item with less attraction, the result shows that ?the reputation of Museum of Science? has the lowest attraction; the next is ?good image of the special exhibition of Museum of Science? and ?the visibility of the special exhibition?, etc.
2. For the participant motivation from tourists on the special exhibition of Museum of Science, ?learning and growth? has the highest agreement; the next are ?the satisfaction of the desire of knowledge? and?personal interest?, respectively. For the item with weaker participant motivation in the special exhibition of Museum of Science, tourists thought that ?the upgrade of social status? has the lowest motivation; the next are respectively ?the acquisition of respect from others? and ?promotion of friendship?, etc.
3. For the participant constraint from tourists on the special exhibition of Museum of Science, ?the ticket of the special exhibition is too expensive? and ?it is expected that the exhibition site will be very crowded? are listed together as the most agreed items; the next is ?Museum of Science is too far away from home?. Tourists thought that item such as ?bad interaction with the participators? has the lowest participant constraint; the next are items such as: ?no partners suitable for the participation together? and ?no convenient public transportation vehicle to Museum of Science?, etc.
4. For the satisfaction from tourists on the special exhibition of Museum of Science, ?the expansion of vision and the increase of knowledge? has the highest degree of agreement; the next are ?trying of new things? and ?the satisfaction of the curiosity of natural science?, respectively. Tourists thought that ?the making of good friends? has the lowest satisfaction; the next are items such as ?the increasing of confidence? and ?the tourists participating in the special exhibition are very friendly?, etc.
5. There is no significant correlation between the tourist?s participant motivation and recreation participant constraint; there is significant correlation between the recognition of special exhibition?s attractive power and tourist?s participant motivation; there is significant correlation between the recognition and satisfaction of special exhibition; there is significant correlation between the tourist?s participant motivation and satisfaction.
6. Tourists ever participated in the special exhibition of Museum of Science prefer most and have the highest satisfaction on special exhibition such as ?archeology and historical relic type?, the next is ?scientific type?.
7. Special exhibition type with the highest participant willing by the tourists is ?archeology and historical relic type?; the next is ?scientific type? and ?artistic type?.
8. Significant difference exists for the recognition and satisfaction on the special exhibition?s attraction as seen by tourists in terms of ?`gender?, ?education? and ?occupation?; but for ?age?, no significant difference can be seen.
9. Significant difference exists for the participation and recreation participant constraint as seen by tourists in terms of ?gender? and ?occupation?, etc.; but for ?age? and ?education?, no significant difference can be seen.
Based on the results of this study, eight suggestions are proposed to be used as reference for business operation by the Museum of Science; it is hoped that this study can be helpful and important reference, in the future promotion of special exhibition, to the planning of exhibition that can meet the tourist?s expectation and to the development of tourist resource; we also hope that the cultural industry of special exhibition of the museum can have a prosperous development and that the result of this study can be used as a guiding for future efforts and as reference for subsequent related researches.